Voicemail on your mobile: call 202
In this article
It’s the little things that often make life a whole lot easier. Voicemail is like having a receptionist to take your calls 24/7. Here's what you need to know to set up and manage your Voicemail.
Voicemail is free on 2degrees Pay Monthly, Prepay and Business Choice plans.
Mobile calling rates will apply if you're using a landline or calling from another mobile network (if calling from another phone you’ll have to enter your Voicemail PIN to enter).
Your Voicemail account will be deactivated after 60 days of inactivity (i.e. where no messages are deposited or retrieved).
Using Voicemail when overseas
When we detect your mobile is in use overseas, we automatically turn Voicemail off because there are additional charges to you when receiving calls while you’re overseas as well as international roaming charges applied when you check your messages. See below for more about using Voicemail while roaming.
To access Voicemail on your mobile
- Call 202 from your 2degrees mobile in New Zealand for free
- Call +64 22 202 2001 if you’re calling from overseas or from a landline or a mobile that isn’t connected to the 2degrees network.
2degrees Voicemail Main Menu
1 – Listen to messages
3 – Manage Voicemail
6 – Change your personal greeting
8 – Find out more about 2degrees Voicemail
To listen to your messages, press 1 from the main menu. You can then select the following options:
- Return the call, press 0
- Replay the message, press 1
- Save the message, press 4
- Delete the message, press 5
- Listen to the next message, press 6
- Replay the last message, press 7
- Return to the main menu, press *
Manage Voicemail submenu
To manage your Voicemail, press 3 from the main menu. You can then select the following options:
- Turn on/off text alerts, press 2
- Change your personal greeting, press 4
- Listen to your greeting, press 1,
- Record your personal greeting, press 2
- Change your recorded name, press 7
- Use standard greeting including your mobile number, press 8
- To hear new message automatically (on/off), press 6
- Change your 4-digit PIN, press 7
- Turn on/off Voicemail, press 8
- Return to the main menu, press *
Change your personal greeting submenu
To change your personal Voicemail greeting, press 6 from the main menu. You can then select the following options:
- Record your personal greeting, press 1
- Seclect your personal greeting, press 1
- Listen to your personal greetings, press 3
- Return to the main menu, press *
How does Voicemail work while I’m roaming overseas?
To help you avoid unwanted costs, we'll automatically turn off your Voicemail when we detect that you’re travelling overseas with your 2degrees phone. We do this because each phone call you receive – including calls that go straight to Voicemail – incurs a cost to your account. With your Voicemail switched off, there is no need to worry about any unexpected charges when you return from your travels. And when you’re back in New Zealand, we automatically turn it back on again. It’s like magic – but useful.
If you wish to use your Voicemail while overseas, you have two options:
- Divert all incoming calls to Voicemail. If you divert all calls, you won’t be charged for incoming calls which go directly to Voicemail, but you also won’t be able to see or answer any incoming calls. If you check your Voicemail messages, international roaming charges for outbound calls will apply.
- Set up conditional call forwarding which will only divert the calls you do not answer to Voicemail. You'll be charged for the inbound call to your phone, then also charged for the outbound call to your Voicemail each time you miss a call.
Both options require your Voicemail PIN, so be sure to set it and remember it before you travel.
Divert all calls to Voicemail while Roaming
If you want to let all calls go directly to Voicemail so you can retrieve the messages, you can divert or forward all calls which will avoid any extra charges while roaming. To do this use the 'Divert All' menu item on your mobile, and divert calls to +64 22 202 2000. Then all calls will be automatically sent to Voicemail. You can still listen to your Voicemail messages from overseas by dialling +64 22 202 2001 (international roaming charges will apply but will be covered by a Roaming Pack if you have one). Remember to cancel the divert when you return to New Zealand.
Manage Conditional Call Forwarding to Voicemail while Roaming
If you want Voicemail to work as normal while you’re overseas, you'll be charged for the inbound call to your phone, then also charged for the outbound call to your Voicemail each time you miss a call. If you have a Roaming pack, the outbound call will be covered by the pack. The inbound call will be covered on all Roaming Packs (except the Islands Pack for Pay Monthly and Prepay Customers and the Data Pack for Business Customers). Please see the below examples and things you need to know section for more details. Remember that you’ll need to have your Voicemail PIN handy.
- Set up Conditional Call Forwarding: dial *004*222022000**30# from your phone
- Retrieve Voicemail messages: dial +64 22 202 2001 (international roaming charges apply)
- Cancel Conditional Call Forwarding: dial ##004#
Examples of charges for Conditional Call Forwarding while Roaming
Alex is roaming in the UK on a Pay Monthly Plan with Conditional Call Forwarding on and no roaming pack enabled. If Alex is unable to answer a call, it will go through to his Voicemail. He'll be charged the standard rate of 44c/min to receive the call and another 44c/min for the cost of the call being put through to his New Zealand Voicemail. The total Alex will be charged – even if the caller got through to the Voicemail prompt and chose not to leave a message – will be 88c/min. If Alex listens to the message, international roaming charges will apply for the call back to New Zealand.
Helen is in Germany on business and is awaiting an important call so she has Conditional Call Forwarding on. Helen will be charged for any inbound call to her phone, then also charged for the outbound call to her Voicemail each time she misses a call. These charges are included in the Daily Business Roaming package and will trigger the daily rate if activated. If Helen listens to the message, International Roaming charges will apply for the call back to New Zealand.
If Helen travels on to a destination that is not covered by Daily Business Roaming, a $1 charge per minute will be incurred when she receives an incoming call, or it goes to Voicemail.
Things to know about Conditional Call Forwarding while Roaming:
- It's important to understand that there will be additional charges when using Conditional Call Forwarding to Voicemail while overseas. and that charges will vary depending on where you are roaming.
- Unfortunately, we can't guarantee this service works on all overseas carriers due to routing restrictions.
- If you activate Conditional Call Forwarding while roaming and turn your phone off your switch to flight mode, calls will automatically divert to your Voicemail.
- Listening to your Voicemail messages from overseas will activate international roaming charges (calling Voicemail is considered a call back to New Zealand).
- Remember to cancel Conditional Call Forwarding when you return home. Your Voicemail will then operate as normal (with no charges) when you arrive back in New Zealand.