How do I keep my number from another mobile company or choose a new 022 number?
In this article
You can keep your current New Zealand mobile number when you join 2degrees, even the 021 or 027 bit. It’s free and only takes a few hours for us to get you up and running.
There are three easy ways to bring your number: online, in a 2degrees store, or over the phone. Whichever way you choose, you’ll need your active 2degrees SIM card as well as your old account number (if you were on a monthly plan), or SIM number (if you were on a prepaid plan).
Make sure you back up your contacts somewhere other than your SIM card (this could be in your phone storage or in the cloud) so that you can easily access the information later.
When you join as a Business customer, your Business Sales Consultant will walk you through the process for keeping your numbers and set a date for when to transfer them across. Just give them all the numbers you’re bringing to 2degrees and they’ll get you connected quickly so you won’t miss a call.
Things to know before you bring your number to 2degrees:
- Your credit or balance with your previous mobile provider will not transfer to your new 2degrees account.
- Mobile Number transfers should complete within 24 hours, however there are some dependencies on your previous network provider.
- In order to move your number, you must be the authorised owner of the number (for example if you are part of a company plan), you must get the authorised person to transfer the number to your name, before you can bring it to 2degrees.
- If you are part way through a contract term with your other provider, you may be liable for early termination charges.
- Your number must be in an active state with your previous provider in order for us to move your number.
How to bring your number or choose a new 022 number online
Don’t forget to back up anything that’s saved to your SIM as you may lose it when the old SIM deactivates.
Before you start, you'll need:
- An activated 2degrees SIM card. To activate your SIM, pop it in your phone. Call 200 for free from your mobile and follow the prompts. You’ll be asked to set a PIN and set up Voicemail. Don’t worry if you don’t have time to set up Voicemail just yet, you can come back to this step later.
- If you were on a monthly plan, grab a copy of your old bill
- If you were on a prepaid plan with your old provider, you’ll need your SIM card number. Find your SIM card number.
- Internet access
- 5 minutes of your time
Once you’re ready, follow this link to Your 2degrees and register using the temporary 022 number on your new SIM. Your 2degrees is the online hub for all things to do with your 2degrees account. Set yourself up with a password and you’ll be able to manage your account from anywhere, at any time.
Follow these steps to bring your number via Your 2degrees
- Log in to Your 2degrees, and click Bring your number on the left-hand side of your dashboard.
- Here you will need your account number or SIM number
If you're joining us from Vodafone
- If you get a monthly bill, you'll need to know your account number (it's printed on your bill).
- If you’re a Prepay customer, you'll need to give us all 16 digits of your SIM card number printed on your Vodafone SIM card.
If you're joining us from Spark
- If you get a monthly bill, you'll need your account number (it's printed on your bill).
- If you are a Spark Prepay customer, you'll need all 17 digits of the SIM number that is printed on your SIM card (if you have too many numbers, just drop the last 0).
- If you’re a one bill customer (where you are paying via your home internet/phone bill), you’ll need the account number printed on your bill.
- Choose the 022 number you wish to use as your number.
- Your 2degrees details should be pre-filled, double check these are correct.
- Enter the details of the provider you’re leaving.
- Click on the ‘Terms and Conditions’ which will open in a new tab. Read and accept the Terms and Conditions.
- Select Bring This Number Now
- Take a moment to review the details, then select Confirm
- After this, you should get a text message from NZ Telecommunication Forum (TCF) to confirm you request to move your mobile number. Note: This text message will go the SIM Card of the provider you’re about to leave. So make sure this SIM is still in the phone.
Once you’ve confirmed your request to the TCF, you’re all set. You should then receive a confirmation message with a reference number. Be sure to write this reference number down in case you need to get in touch with us about moving your number.
Once approved by yourself and accepted, the changeover will usually take between 2 and 24 hours during the hours of 8am-6pm. When the process is complete, we’ll send you a text message to confirm the change.
If your number porting request comes in after 5.45PM, it will only begin processing at 8AM the following day. The approval text message will only come to you at 8AM the following day as well.
Mobile port confirmation text
Before we can begin moving your mobile number over to 2degrees, you will need to confirm that you have indeed made this request. To do this, look for a text message from 2542. You will need to reply with a ‘YES’ within 2 hours of getting the message for us to begin moving your number over.
Here’s what the text message will look like:
ACTION REQUIRED: We have received a request to move your mobile < xxx xxx xxx> to another provider. To proceed reply YES to this message within 2 hours. If you didn't request the move, reply NO or ignore this message and it will be cancelled. From NZ Telecommunications Forum (TCF)
Whether you reply YES or NO, you will then receive a text message to confirm either response.
NOTE: If you have ordered a SIM card, the mobile confirmation text may take up to 48 hours. It will be sent between 8am to 5pm during working days. In some cases, you may not receive a text message. This may be due to other pending approvals at your end (example: if the number port is for a large business order)
Great. You're done. You’ll see a confirmation message with a reference number.
Once accepted, the changeover will usually take between 2 and 24 hours. When the process is complete, we’ll send you a text message to confirm the change.
Change your number in store or over the phone
Before you visit our 2degrees staff in store, or call our Customer Care team, make sure you have these things with you:
- Your 2degrees SIM (or purchase one in store).
- Your old account number or SIM number.
- A couple of minutes to go through the Terms and Conditions.
How long will it take to bring my number to 2degrees?
After you’ve requested the change (doing it online yourself may be the quickest way to request the change), and the changeover request is accepted, it can take between 2 to 24 hours. Remember to double check the details you enter so that the change doesn't take any longer than it needs to.
We can’t give you a definite time because it will depend on communicating with your previous mobile phone provider.
If you keep your 2degrees SIM in your phone, we’ll send you a text message when the change has been completed. You may want to keep your current provider’s SIM in until the change is complete, in which case, you can check every three or four hours the change has occurred by inserting your new 2degrees SIM.
Give us a call on 0800 022 022 for any further assistance.
I’ve transferred my number to 2degrees but I’m still getting a bill from my old mobile company
If you still get a pay monthly bill from the other guys after you’ve transferred your number, you’ll need to call them to check that they've closed your account properly. For legal reasons, 2degrees can't do that bit for you.